Foster Parent Steps
Ways to Help
Support & Assistance
Steps to Become a Foster Parent
To ensure that you and your home are properly prepared for fostering a child, the state of New York requires that homes be licensed to do foster care. Cayuga County caseworkers will help guide you through the process.
Call the home finder at (315) 253-1396. She can send you basic information on foster care and the requirements to become a foster parent, as well as answer any questions you have. A face to face meeting is optional.
1. Attend the Group Preparation and Selection/Model Approach to Partnerships in Parenting Training (GPSII/MAPP). In this free 10-class series, you will learn about parenting a child who has been neglected or abused. You will also learn about working with birth families and the court process. You will be given application forms to begin the paperwork process and home visits will be arranged to gather more information. These classes will help you decide if foster parenting is right for your family.
2. Submit all of your paperwork to the Agency.
3. Obtain a health screening and recent TB test.
4. Get fingerprinted. There are no fees for this. Licensing usually takes four to six months from this time.
5. Pass a home fire and safety inspection.
6. When all requirements are met, the home study will be completed and
a contract will need to be signed. You will then be licensed for foster care.
7. Congratulations!! You are now eligible to be matched with a child in need of a safe, stable and nurturing home!!
Copyright 2019 by DNN Corp